Mon 19th Jun 2017
So the longest day of the year for Race 6!
Also looks like it will be our first balmy evening, maybe even quite hot. Please come along and run at Manor Farm Country Park, 7.30pm start.
Please allow plenty of time, as it says below, there will be increased traffic due to a T20 match.
The info below was sent out a few days ago, so the weekend sun may have dried out the wet patches.
Hope to see you there,
Hedge End Running Club has the pleasure of hosting Race #6 of the 2017 RR10 series. This will take place on Wednesday the 21st of June at Manor Farm Country Park, which is on the outskirts of Hedge End, just off Junction 8 of the M27. The nearest postcode is SO31 1BH… Link to Map
The drop out club is New Forest Runners.
The route is the same as the past few years. It is a single lap of about 5 miles with a small climb towards the end of the race. The course map can be downloaded from here.
The course is mainly dry at the moment, although one section in the woods is quite muddy and trail shoes are recommended. Spikes are not suitable. The dry weather in the Spring has exposed more tree roots than normal, which we will try and mark wherever possible. There are narrow sections through the woods and a very uneven section along a bridleway where extra care should be taken.
As ever, we expect parking to be tight, so please car share as much as possible. There will be no parking charges for the evening, so there is no need to buy a parking ticket. Please do not park on the access road outside the Country Park entrance. We plan to fill the car parks closest to the entrance first and work back towards the start. This will hopefully help avoid congestion with cars attempting to leave the park being blocked by runners arriving. Please follow the Car Park marshals’ instructions and be aware of traffic while walking along the road to the start area.
- The start is 19:30 prompt. Please allow time to arrive, park and get to the start.
- We do not have exclusive access to the Country Park, which is popular with dog walkers, cyclists, and other users, so please be considerate to the local residents. If the weather is fine, there may also be families picnicking in the Country Park.
- We have been promised that the Ladies and Gents toilets in Barnfield will be left unlocked for the race.
- The Start and Finish will be in Barnfield
- The route is a mixture of grass, gravel paths, trails and bridleways, with muddy sections through fields and copses and along the river bank. Tree roots, ruts, large stones, low branches, posts, steps, bridges and a cheeky incline at the end are some of our interesting features. These will be indicated by marshals where possible.
- If you have a car, please leave the Country Park by 9.10pm… the entrance gate for vehicles is locked at 9.15pm
THE AREA AROUND HEDGE END WILL BE EXTREMELY BUSY NEXT WEDNESDAY EVENING DUE TO THE INTERNATIONAL T20 CRICKET MATCH BETWEEN ENGLAND AND SOUTH AFRICA. THE MATCH IS DUE TO START AT 18.30 AND FINISH AROUND 21.30.
TRAFFIC WILL BE LEAVING THE M27 AT JUNCTION 7 FOR PARKING IN AND AROUND THE GROUND, AND AT JUNCTION 5 FOR PARK AND RIDE SERVICES. THE TRAFFIC IS LIKELY TO BE EXTREMELY HEAVY ON THE M27 AND ALL SURROUNDING AREAS FROM LATE AFTERNOON AS SPECTATORS MAKE THEIR WAY TO THE MATCH.
ALTHOUGH THE MAJORITY OF SPECTATORS SHOULD BE PARKED AND IN THE GROUND BY 18.30 THERE COULD BE A KNOCK ON EFFECT WHICH WILL CAUSE DELAYS FOR THOSE TRAVELLING TO MANOR FARM AT JUNCTION 8 OF THE M27 FOR THE RR10.
PLEASE ENSURE YOUR CLUB MEMBERS ARE AWARE OF THIS AND PLAN FOR ADDITIONAL TRAVEL TIME
(photo courtesy of Paul Hammond)